Nov 20, 2013

Pumpkins! (and Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving)


Hi! as promised, this week is pumpkin pie week, in time for Thanksgiving next Thursday. Before talking about my first pumpkin pie, I'll finish telling you about my adventure at the Eckert's Grafton Farm

The tractor that drives you around was unexpected, I would have happily walked all over the place just because the distances are not a big deal, I think it's just part of the experience, and a great one.


I've never seen a pumpkin patch before, I only heard about it from Linus every Halloween when he faithfully waits for the Great Pumpkin at the pumpkin patch. I got all excited as a kid, and didn't lose the chance to take pics. I was also blown away with all the different kinds of pumpkin they had, all sizes, shapes and colors.

As for the picking, we picked an 11 pound beautiful pumpkin that I grew fond of over the days and weeks that "she" hung out with us, losing it's green patches and getting ripe.

We chose to take it home because it looked "small" in comparison with the others, let me tell you, not small at all. I'll always remember you "first pumpkin" :').


When it was finally ripe I googled how to roast it to make some pumpkin puree and learned that the ideal type to use for pies is the "sweet pumpkin". After researching I just went with my gut because some people all over the web actually had success with a pumpkin like mine.

I found this amazing video on youtube from a channel called Chef Tips. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. If you have extra pumpkin puree you can freeze it. (btw, the Chef has a delicious pumpkin bread recipe that'll I'll try with the extra pumpkin puree I have). This can be a little time consuming so be prepared, I did it a few days in advanced. 

Then for the baking pie part I followed this also amazing video from Food Whishes, I did it step by step with amazing results. The only ingredient I didn't find or use was the Chinese 5-spice and instead of the pumpkin can I used 2 cups of my pumpkin puree.


A few tips:
1. I used pre-grounded nutmeg just because I use it a lot and rather have it ready, it's fine :) if you are a little more gourmet it's definitely way better if you ground it fresh.

2. I used half of the dough recipe from my apple pie of last week, just check the previous post, remember, just half!

3. I used a foil 9 inch pie pan, I couldn't really tap the pie or move it easily because the pumpkin mix is "liquidy" and heavy, I needed help to put it in the oven, if you have a glass pie pan it will be much better and easier to handle. If not, just remember to be careful.

4. And finally, it's a little hard to tell when the pie is done, when you are getting close to taking it out of the oven just give it a gentle wiggle and the center should be "wiggly" but not liquid, just go with your instincts. I didn't want to mark it with a knife but I wasn't really sure so I used a toothpick like an 1 1/2 inch from the edge, if it comes out clean, it's done! :) I usually turn off the oven and let stuff cool in it for a little bit in there and then pull them out, so they don't get a temperature shock. The pumpkin mix might be a little puffy and will eventually go down when the pie cools off.

We never waste in this household! I had enough dough and mix for two baby pies :)

Let it chill in the fridge for a night and it'll be ready to eat the next day!

Hope you give it a try for Thanksgiving, (I will definitely be making it next week) it was a quick and easy one to bake and I had delicious results.

PO

PS. Here's the video I used for the pumpkin seeds. Final tip, I used popcorn salt, worked out great!

 ........................................................................................................................................................................................

Calabazas! (y Pay de Calabaza para Día de Acción de Gracias)

Hola! Como prometí, esta semana es la semana de la calabaza, aprovechando que se acerca el Día de Acción de Gracias. Antes de hablar del pay, voy a terminar de contarles sobre mi aventura en la Granja de Eckert's en Grafton.

Hay un tractor que te pasea por el lugar, lo cual no esperaba. No es muy necesario pues las distancias no son exageradas, creo que mas bien es parte de la experiencia, y una bastante divertida.

Nunca había visto un huerto de calabazas, solo había escuchado de ellos por Linus (de los personajes de Peanuts) que siempre espera a "La Gran Calabaza" en Halloween. Me emocioné como una niña y no perdí oportunidad de tomar muchas fotos. Me impresionó también todos los tipos de calabazas que se cosechan en la granja.

Escogimos una hermosa calabaza de 5 1/2 kilos, de la cual me encariñé durante los días que la tuvimos en casa madurando. Se veía chica cuando la trajimos a casa comparada con las demás, créanme, nada pequeña. Siempre te recordaré primer calabaza :').

Cuando finalmente estuvo lista, busqué en Internet como hacer puré y descubrí que para hacer pay la mejor es la "calabaza dulce". Después de investigar un poco más, mucha gente en la web ha tenido éxito con calabazas como la mía.

Encontré este excelente video en youtube del canal Chef Tips, solo sigan las instrucciones y no tendrán problema, el resto del puré pueden congelar. Yo voy a usar una parte para hacer esta receta de pan de calabaza del mismo canal. Hacer el puré puede tomar tiempo así que estén preparados.

Para el pay seguí la receta de este super video del canal Food Wishes, seguí todos los pasos con excelentes resultados. El único ingrediente que no use fueron las especias chinas y en lugar de la lata de puré que el usó yo usé 2 tazas de mi puré.

Algunos tips:
1. Usé nuez moscada previamente molida, si quieren algo mas gourmet pueden molerla al momento.

2. Yo usé la mitad de la la receta de la masa del post de la semana pasada, recuerden, solo la mitad!

3. Yo uso moldes de aluminio, fue difícil moverlo porque la mezcla es pesada y muy líquida.  Necesité ayuda para meter el pay al horno, si tienen un molde de vidrio será mucho más fácil, sino sólo tengan cuidado al mover el pay con el molde de aluminio.

4. Finalmente, es un poco difícil saber cuando el pay esta listo, cuando se acerque el tiempo de sacarlo del horno solo muevanlo delicadamente y si el centro esta gelatinoso pero no liquido quiere decir que ya esta listo. Yo no quise usar un cuchillo, pueden usar un palillo también como a 5 cm. de la orilla del pie, si sale limpio ya esta listo! :) Usualmente yo apago el horno y dejo el pay cocinar un poquito más mientras el horno se enfría.

Cuando lo saquen del horno, déjenlo enfriar y refrigerar por una noche, estará listo para comer al día siguiente.

Espero se animen a probar estas recetas para el Día de Acción de Gracias, fue muy rápido y fácil y tiene resultados deliciosos.

PO

PD. Aquí esta el video para las semillas. Tip final, yo use sal para palomitas que es más fina, funcionó muy bien.  

No comments:

Post a Comment