Oct 22, 2013

Saying Hi and Greeting People

The first thing I found curious when I got here were the introductions and goodbyes.

Why?

In Mexico when people meet they shake hands or kiss on the cheek (depending on age, if it's work related or a social gathering). For example, the french kiss twice on the cheek (even men do it), and in French southern regions or small towns like Carpentras even three times!

On work related or formal situations Mexicans will shake hands, and on social gatherings guys get handshakes and us girls get kisses on the cheek, and if it's someone really close to us we'll even hug.

Here I've noticed a friendly smile and a "Hi!" or "Hey!" will be enough. If the greet/goodbye is really formal then you'll get a handshake. So I'm still feeling a little awkward at times because "something" is missing.

I guess I just need time to get used to it and eventually won't mind, for now I get confused and think to myself "Am I being polite enough?", "Did I acknowledge that person correctly?"

So, I'll keep on putting my best smile and "hi!" until then, one step at a time.

PO

..................................................................................................................................................................


El primer detalle que encontré curioso cuando llegue aquí fueron los saludos y las despedidas.

Por qué?

En México cuando las personas se saludan normalmente se darán un beso en la mejilla o darán un apretón de manos (dependiendo de la edad y si es un saludo formal o informal). Por ejemplo los franceses se dan un beso en cada mejilla (incluidos los hombres) y en las regiones del sur de Francia como Carpentras inclusive tres besos.

En situaciones formales o de trabajo los mexicanos se darán un apretón de manos, y en un ambiente social los hombres se darán un saludo de mano y las mujeres recibimos un beso en la mejilla, si es algún muy cercano inclusive nos abrazamos.

Aquí he notado que una sonrisa amigable y un simple "Hola!" bastará. En caso de que sea un saludo/despedida muy formal entonces si habrá un apretón de manos. Así que todavía me siento un poco rara y pienso que falta algo.

Supongo que necesito tiempo para acostumbrarme y no lo notaré, por lo pronto me confundo y pienso "Fui lo suficientemente educada?", "Le di la atención necesaria a esa persona?".

Así que seguiré poniendo mi mejor sonrisa y diré "Hola!" hasta entonces, un paso a la vez.

PO

No comments:

Post a Comment